That's the memory of Mac Sisson that, for some reason, keeps popping into my head. This was an image I'd witness as an alumni of OBU on those rare trips back to campus. I've seen him many other times since then, as I've moved back to OBU and we go to church together. Most recently, I would see him most often outside Cone-Bottoms Hall, sitting in his car with his dog in the back seat, reading his paper and waiting for Donna to get off work. He'd bring her to work every morning and pick her up every evening.
If you don't know who Mac Sisson is just google him. There are many articles and blog posts going up about him. Mac was a long-time staff member of Ouachita Baptist University. He was Sports Information Director, News Bureau Director, OSF leader, Pageant Director and friend (among many other roles). Mac died suddenly of heart attack on Monday morning. His funeral is tomorrow.
I sat with him on Sunday morning in our church nursery. My Little Man wasn't feeling well so we left the worship service (where Mac had handed us our church bulletin a few minutes before, as he did almost every Sunday morning). I had been sitting visiting with my friend, Shawna, and Mac's wife, Donna. We were talking about their house renovations they were just wrapping up. Mac came into the room and sat down next to me on the bench. He laughed as he told us he'd worn the same suit every Sunday since January 4 because he couldn't get to any others! He was wearing a brown jacket. Less than 24 hours later he was gone.
So many memories keep peppering my thoughts...
I've been thinking about the brown-paneled News Bureau office in Flenniken Hall. I worked for Mac in that office while a student at OBU. I remember the 70s style orange couch and many pageant photos scattered about the office.
Many have written about Mac's laugh. That loud, boisterous laugh. That eyes closed, head back laugh. I wish I could hear it again.
Mac was a dear friend and mentor to so many students that passed through his office, be it in Flenniken Hall, the basement of Mabee or the press box. He encouraged so many young women as they went through the pageant system. He was kind and steady. I've so enjoyed reading the accounts from many of the sports writers that learned at Mac's elbow. They've talked about all they learned about journalism from Mac. Many of those lessons, he taught me in the News Bureau. Two that really capture Mac in sharp relief are blog posts from Chris Babb and Rex Nelson. Go take a look.
Mac, we will miss your smile...we will miss your laugh...we will miss you.
-30-


So grateful I had the opportunity to know him, Lori. Beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful tribute to an amazing man.
ReplyDeleteIt was an honor to hear that laugh myself. Never another man like that one.
I didn't know Mac as well as you did. Cindy knew him well. But everyone I know who knew him absolutely loved him.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss.