I have a question for you.
When I say "Christmas" what do you see?
What is in your mind's eye?
Don't over think it. Now, hold that thought...
A couple of years ago my sister, Cindy, and I had a fascinating conversation.
I still think about it often. I still quiz my friends about it.
It opened a whole new school of thought for me.
She asked me that question and to my utter amazement she told me she sees
C H R I S T M A S
black letters on a white background.
Seriously?!?!?!?! I see Christmas lights, wreaths, wrapped presents, trees. nativity.
I see pictures.
with color and lights.
She sees letters
black letters
on a white background
I'm sure someone has done a study on this. Whimzie may know...enlighten me oh Psych major!!
What do you see? Do you see images or do you see letters? It never occurred to me that we didn't all see pictures in our minds. I thought everyone was like me. I really want to know your answer. If you read this post today or three months from today, please comment. I really want to know.
And as a side note. My son has pneumonia. Eldest...he was wheezing this morning. So we went in to check. It sneaks up on him. This is his third time to have it. I hate pneumonia.
When I say "Christmas" what do you see?
What is in your mind's eye?
Don't over think it. Now, hold that thought...
A couple of years ago my sister, Cindy, and I had a fascinating conversation.
I still think about it often. I still quiz my friends about it.
It opened a whole new school of thought for me.
She asked me that question and to my utter amazement she told me she sees
C H R I S T M A S
black letters on a white background.
Seriously?!?!?!?! I see Christmas lights, wreaths, wrapped presents, trees. nativity.
I see pictures.
with color and lights.
She sees letters
black letters
on a white background
I'm sure someone has done a study on this. Whimzie may know...enlighten me oh Psych major!!
What do you see? Do you see images or do you see letters? It never occurred to me that we didn't all see pictures in our minds. I thought everyone was like me. I really want to know your answer. If you read this post today or three months from today, please comment. I really want to know.
And as a side note. My son has pneumonia. Eldest...he was wheezing this morning. So we went in to check. It sneaks up on him. This is his third time to have it. I hate pneumonia.


I see food...lot's of food and big red balls.
ReplyDeleteI see a green conical tree with white lights.
ReplyDeleteBecause that's what I want but I'm outnumbered 3 to 1, so we have colored.
I see all the usual stuff (tree, lights, snow, even though we never have` snow in Texas). You might be interested to know that while I immediately see these visions, I also hear Johnnny Mathis singing this ridiculous Christmas song called "Marshmallow World" or something like that. We had the record. I have discovered that I can't separate the mental images of my life from the mental soundtrack.
ReplyDeleteI see the cheeks hurting from smiling, Nutcracker, cuddling on the couch and mainly, I see SMELLS-- of coffee from lazy morning while kids are on break, pine treese, cinnamon and all the spices from baking, peppermints, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla. Hugs Lori. Love your blog
ReplyDeleteI totally see the letters. My sis-in-law is a speech path and we've had this conversation. She explained it but all I remember is something about auditory v. visual learner, etc. She says that a lot of people with learning disabilities like dyslexia, auditory processing disorders, etc. see pictures and people who are good spellers see letters. Her example was "apple." She and I both see a-p-p-l-e and my husband and his family all see pictures. (We're pretty sure dyslexia runs rampant in his family.) Weird.
ReplyDeleteGreat. So according to Lisa, I have a learning disability. Nice. Now I know why I call her "my smart friend." (Just kidding...really!!)
ReplyDeleteI totally see pictures!!!!!
And pneumonia? Growl.