11.26.2009

Blessings Abound

Some of you know that my family got a little rebellious this year. We stayed home for Thanksgiving....alone. We said anyone who wanted to was welcome to come, but we needed some down time. Our lives have become a bit busier with my having this new job. So we stayed local. It's been a nice day. We cooked the full Thanksgiving bounty for the five of us.

I've thought a lot about what I'm thankful for this year. There are too many things to list. My two biggest blessings, I think, are my family and my job (which has become another family). I haven't had this job for long, but I love it. I still marvel at God's timing on it. I still marvel at the faith those I work with placed in me. I feel honored to be able to work with the amazing people in my office. Most of them are early in their career (meaning they are much younger than me!). It's fun to be around them and feeling their energy.

I have an amazing family. It's a big, extended family. I have a blended family on my side. So while I only have one biological brother. I have four sisters and three brothers. As I said, one's been with me since birth, the others have come in at later times. But I am so blessed to have each of them in my life. They have each taught me a lot about family and who I am. Because of them I have whole gaggle nieces and nephews. And I love each and every one of them. I have parents, step parents and in-laws. All are so precious to me. I can't imagine my life without them, yet I've learned that when they are called home by Jesus, we must go on (miss you, Daddy! I thought about you when I was eating grandmother's chocolate pie recipe).

I am blessed to have one living grandmother. She's 90. And she's amazing. I hate that I don't get to see her more often. I don't talk to her anywhere near as often I should. But I'm so thankful that my kids know and will always remember their Gran-gran.

Most of all, I'm grateful for my husband and kids. I don't know why I am so blessed to have a husband that loves me through all of my faults. He works so hard for our family. He does dishes, grocery shops, and takes better care of the kids than I do. I thank God every day that I have him in my life. Then there are my precious kids. I don't even know what to say other than wow. They amaze me daily. They are each so talented in their own way. They are each SO VERY DIFFERENT. I am overwhelmed that God would trust me with their care while they are here. And I thank Him.

So here are some moments from our day...starting of course with the meal!

I forgot to take a picture of the turkey, but it was a thing of beauty! If you are afraid of making a turkey or have not been successful in the past then I have a recipe for you! It is DELISH!!! It's a Beer Brined Turkey. It won't disappoint (see Josh loved it)!Here is the gravy from it!Ryan made the green bean casserole by himself. He was very proud!
Sweet potatoes with homemade marshmallows!
Isn't my apple pie pretty? It was yummy. My chocolate pie, while very tasty, was not as picturesque.
We decorated the tree last night.



This afternoon, we've played the wii and watched football. We cuddled and laughed...and who are we kidding, fought and cried a few times. But for the most part, it's been a beautiful peaceful day.

I hope yours has been as good. I hope you've had a chance to hug and love on your blessings today whether in person or on the phone.

May God bless you this Thanksgiving weekend!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lori and Family... Glad you had such a good day. Neat recipe for turkey. I have one I'll send you that you might enjoy some year as well. So glad to have both you and Casey as part of our OBU family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the beer bird. Getting your bird drunk cracks me up...but I've heard it is delish.

    Sounds like a LOVELY time with the family!

    ReplyDelete