I didn't.
My cousin told my uncle, who told my mom, who told me.
His name is Adam Lee Brown. He was from Hot Springs. He was 36. He had a wife and 2 kids.
He was protecting me.
And you.
Adam was a Navy Seal serving in Afghanistan. According to the news story "Chief Special Warfare Operator Adam Lee Brown, 36, was on routine deployment at the time of this death."
Did you catch that?
Routine deployment
Routine...
I forget about that. I shouldn't.
You know how my cousin knew?
He was with him...under fire...fighting the bad guys.
My cousin's note said, "We hit a target in AFG a few nights ago and got into one of the most intense fire fights that I've been in during my time in the teams." That's saying something coming from my cousin. I've heard a few of the stories.
"The hero for that night was Adam. I've known him since 1999 while we were going through BUD/S together. He was a good friend and probably the most religious, moral man I knew in the teams."
Routine.
For me.
Thank you, Adam.
Thank you to Adam's family who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Thank you to my cousin, Rob, who is under fire routinely. I've heard the stories of what they go through...routinely.
Thank you to all of those service men and women who are serving to keep us safe. Who are fighting for us. And for our freedom.
Without question.
Routine.


Oh, Lori. How I stand with you in the boat of forgetting so easily. But I also stand with you in awe of these men and women that really do pay the ultimate sacrifice so that you and I can go about our routines.
ReplyDeleteLori - thanks for sharing that post. I can't believe just how "routine" it really is, and how often it goes un-thought of. The school where I teach is on an Army base, and I have the privilege of teaching the children of our men and women who are serving every day. It has been such a unique ministry opportunity, and I love it! I sometimes think about how "routine" it is for families of these men and women too - as they move different places and spend time away from those who are serving overseas. I'm also so thankful for all they are doing every day. And thankful for Adam, the hero that you shared about.
ReplyDeleteLori,
ReplyDeleteI just read this tonight. Thank you for posting...well said! I attended Adam's funeral today at our church. He went to high school with my husband & we go to church with his parents. I have a much greater appreciation for what those men go through to protect us & our precious freedoms. Adam was an amazing man. Another Seal from their team spoke today. It was by far the most moving "speech" I have ever heard! I wish it could be shown on National TV. It was powerful. God bless those men & their families. Freedom is truly not free.