But how do I do that? How do sum up Ouachita Baptist University for me? I can't. It's too big. I've been a student. Now I'm on staff.
And it all started many years ago. My youth minister in McKinney, Texas, Kevin Wieser, had gone to Ouachita. I never really considered any where else. While the rest of my family was talking about UT, I was talking about OBU.
I remember coming to Tiger Tunes and staying with Cindy Shopmeyer from my youth group. Her roommate Amy Ables was such fun and they made me feel so welcome.
In the Spring of my senior year I came to campus with my high school friends, Elizabeth and Savannah. All three of us chose OBU, along with about 5 others from my graduating class (Randy's purple sport coat has long been a favorite memory!).

My time at OBU was not perfect. Transitioning was difficult. I even considered transferring. But once I turned it over to God and dropped the massive expectations of a perfect life, I found friends that walked me through some dark times. They saw me through the loss of my step mom while I was a student. They've seen me through the loss of my dad since we've been back as faculty/staff.We moved back in '06 when my husband, a die-hard Aggie, took a job as a professor in the history department.
He's a die-hard Tiger now!A year and a half ago God blessed me with the opportunity to join OBU as Director of Admissions Counseling. Now I get to spend my days telling others about how much I love Ouachita!
My family (me, my husband and my three kiddos) are regularly decked out in purple and gold for football, basketball, baseball, soccer...you name it, we try to be there as often as possible.
My kids learned to ride their bikes on this campus (I'm sure you recognize the awkward steps behind him...).

As I type this, my kids are bugging me to load up and go to campus to ride. Most likely some of what I like to call The Posse will be there.
A whole gaggle of faculty staff kids who are prime bike/scooter riding age.
On quiet, beautiful days like today they can be found cruising campus.OBU students babysit my kids...and love my kids. My kids love them.

It's not just where Casey and I work. It's deeply woven into the fabric of our lives.
It is the Ouachita Family. I've heard about it since those first visits to campus. It's still just as true today as it was back then. We are part of a family.
It is a special place. A different place.
I truly am a Tiger for Life.


Lori - what a great idea you had. I'm so happy to have a friend on campus to visit any old time I want to drop in, and after reading everyone else's stories today, it may be sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog. My first memory of you is you announcing as long as the war in the Gulf was on, you were having cable, baby. And we all appreciated getting to borrow it to watch Days of our Lives (which, by the way, Jennifer Horton is my mom's neighbor and loves her to death!). Thanks, Lori!
ReplyDeleteBravo! Well said, and fabulous idea! Now I'm completely homesick!
ReplyDeleteI came here to type something else but got distracted by Fish. Jennifer Horton is your mom's neighbor?! CarpoolQueen used to make me watch Days with her every. single. day. at OBU.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Lori the Creative, this was a GREAT idea! Thanks for inviting us all to share our memories. It was fun remembering for my post and it's been even more fun reading everyone else's memories.
I remember when you came to stay with C-Jo and me. I'm so glad you chose OBU and let me be your friend!!
And I'm SO glad to see a picture of the purple jacket. Did he pass it on to you? It should be in a special hall of fame museum. You DO have the greatest job in the world, you know.
Lori, what a great idea. I love reading all of these blogs.
ReplyDeleteLori-
ReplyDeleteGreat to see your blog. I knew you had relocated to Arkadelphia (again) but had no idea you were Director of Admissions. That office has great memories for me!! Congrats - the job fits you well! You are one of the 3 reasons I got to Ouachita myself - you were recruiting even when you were 18. The picure of you and the Dyer's is great!!
I have run into your mom in McKinney - always at the grocery store and she updates me on the kids. Bill will see Lance from time to time as well.
I don't have a blog but just wanted to say HEY!
Wendy (Chappell) Cox
wendycox@tx.rr.com
What a wonderful idea... I am enjoying what each person has to say about their experience at OBU. It was an honor being your youth minister... those were some very special days. Not only as youth minister, but when you came onto our staff at FBC Garland too. You are doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteLove, Kevin and Sharon Wieser
I'm speechless. I can't process that Sara's mom is neighbors with Jennifer Horton...
ReplyDeleteI thought about you today, Lori, and how just a little over a year ago you'd just lost your job and were feeling the stress of your future. LOOK AT YOU NOW! Seems like you stepped into a job that was absolutely MADE for you!
ReplyDeleteThe Blogabout was a fabulous idea! I'm pretty sure the great response has been because of YOU!
I loved getting to know you the year all of you McKinney girls moved into Perrin 3 with my sister!
I'm so glad you had this idea too! I missed out this time though, because I was out of town for the weekend! And I couldn't figure out how to link up :( But I'll enjoy reading all the other blogs and can't wait to do it again sometime...it definitely needs to happen again! :) I'm also glad you guys came to OBU when you did and I had the opportunity to get to know you at school and at church before I left...too bad about that graduation/leaving that seems to happen every year! haha Have another blessed year there!
ReplyDeleteLori, I equally died when I found out. ANDDD there's more. She's a strong believer. When Days starting writing witchcraft into the stories, she quit. She looks adorable in a t shirt and ponytail (gag, of course) in real life. She joined mom and dad's church and is in a community group with all of my family. And she says she wants to be like my mom when she grows up. Just brought Mom a meal after mom's shoulder surgery. She recently went back to film like 20 episodes b/c Grandma Horton died. Anyway, it is all just crazy and I tell everyone who remotely mentions Days of Our Lives to me!!!
ReplyDeleteLori,
ReplyDeleteI want you to know I still have that brush I stole from you when we were suite mates in Frances Crawford. I think about you everytime I see it. It can't be used anymore because it is so old, just saying. But I can't bare to throw it away!!
I am so thankful that we were at OBU together. Our Wieser bond was our kindred spirit. One of my favorite memories of you is how you loved UT. You made everyone leave you alone when there was a game on and you wore those longhorn house shoes. I also loved the times I got to go home with you. Your family was so sweet!!
Thanks for doing this! It was fun. Jeff and I have had a blast reminiscing.
So much fun, Lori!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blessing of bringing all these memories to one place.
OBU is a special special place.