I sat there last night knowing that my kids get to go to a great school, Ouachita Baptist University, because Casey and I work here. But now, room and board is covered for them too. But most importantly, I knew that there high school students who had been working hard who weren't sure how they were going to pay for school...and last night, they found out they didn't have to worry about that any more. The Ross Foundation and Southern Bancorp, two businesses that do so much for our community, stepped up to do even more. Something only three other cities in the whole United States have done. Making Arkadelphia an even better place to call home!
Gov. Bebee was on hand for the announcement. US Secretary of Education Duncan sent a video message recorded just for the event. Of course, the most impressive part of the program (other than the announcement) was when the Perritt choir (1 graders), Central Choir (3rd grade) and Peake choir (5th grade and Ryan was in it) sang. They had been practicing for weeks and did such a fantastic job!
Ryan is the 5th "A" from the left on the front row.


WONDERFUL news!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat news,how wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! That is awesome. How great to know that you always have that covered.
ReplyDeleteHey - I'm thrilled to be a part of this city too! Wonderful news!! But I just was confused by one of your statements - room and board will be covered too. Not to rain on your parade, but I don't want you to coast through the next 10 years thinking that they pay for room and board too. The only thing that the scholarships can be used for are tuition and extra fees, but not room and board or books. Go check out the website and click on the tab parents or students. Sorry if you were thinking that they were! :(
ReplyDeleteOh, how we miss Arkadelphia!
ReplyDelete