8.06.2011

"I used everything you gave me"

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

I've been reminded today how very precious and fragile life is. We've lost two family members today.

Early today we learned that my cousin, Rob, was killed when the helicopter that was shot down in Afghanistan last night. He was a Navy SEAL. I was amazed by what he did daily. To protect me...and my kids. He was a hero. His death was tragic and far too early.

This evening Casey's grandfather passed. Also unexpected, yet not surprising. He had lived a long life. A good life. We had the opportunity to spend time with him a couple of weeks ago. It was precious time.

I think both of these men did just what Ms. Bombeck was talking about. Rob died doing what he loved. Serving our country and protecting those he loved (and those he didn't even know). Papa K spent his life in the pursuit of knowledge. He left a legacy in my husband and so many others.

I hope I can follow both of their examples.

August 6. A hard day. Yet full of new life, too. Our sweet nephew, JP, turned one today. A life beginning. Still new. Full of promise.

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Tell those closest to you that you love them today.

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Love you guys! WB

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so sorry to hear the news, you and your families are in our prayers along with the other extended families that have lost ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, the loss of Rob brings the Navy Seal crash so much "closer to home." Praying for you and his family. Thanking God for him and the love he demonstrated for his country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your family's losses. And I'm so grateful for your cousin's willingness to sacrifice his all for love of this country. Men and women like Rob are what have made us a great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are in our thoughts and prayers during this sad time of saying goodbye and celebrating the lives that these men lived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late to read this, but I wanted you to know I'm thinking about and praying for you and your sweet family. Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete