8.13.2011

He Stood for Us

I went to the memorial service for my cousin Rob today. It's been overwhelming to see the outpouring of support and compassion from people. My uncle said in an interview yesterday that Rob wasn't just ours, he was America's. That is so true.

We went first to my uncle's house where police, naval officers and the patriot guard waited to escort us to the church for the service. There were several police motorcycles and several police cars for the motorcade. There were about 8 from the Patriot Guard. My boys were especially fascinated with this party, so we went to down to meet them while we waited to leave. They were very nice. One man had his 9 year old son with him. A couple were women. We thanked them for being there and they quickly said "he stood for us, so we'll stand for him". That's their moto. I had seen them on tv before, but never really thought about what they did.

We loaded up in about 15 cars for the service. Our entire route was lined with little American flags stuck in the ground every 10 feet or so.

As we neared the church I saw the rest of the Patriot Guard and was overcome.

There must have been 100 motorcycles parked across from the church. Their riders, in jeans, t-shirts, and leather stood along the block that the church was on with flags. Some had small flags. Some larger flags. Several held a giant flag that stretched across several of them. They all had hats in hands, hands on hearts and flags held high.

There were so many of them. It was one of the most moving sights I've ever seen.

We drove slowly passed them. Some of them nodded. Most of them just stood reverently. As we parked and walked into the church, more stood along the walkway to the door we entered, probably twenty of them, lining our way with American flags.

Rob stood for them, so they stood for him.

We went into the packed church. Hundreds of people were there. As three different men stood to share their remembrances of Rob, I quickly realized that we were mourning different people.

I was mourning a little boy in a white cloth-billed cap with a lobster on it. He wore it everywhere. The little boy I had spent time with during the summers. Before college, or high school or even junior high. That's the Rob I knew.

I've kept up with his adventures and accomplishments since through my uncle. I'd seen Rob a few times in the last 10 years or so, but didn't really know the man he'd become.

I missed out.

They told stories today about his sense of humor, his quick wit and his antics. They told of infectious laughter. About his compassion and humility. About his love for his family, his sister and his dad, and for his long time girlfriend. About his passion for his purpose as a SEAL.

I'm sad to loose the little boy I knew. But honestly, he's been gone a long time. Tonight I mourn the amazing man that I never really got the chance to know.

I missed out.

Hundreds gather for fallen hero's memorial service - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

post signature

1 comment: