An interesting thing happened on the way home. I was listening to the CD from last year's concert when suddenly Daddy was talking saying this very quote. They had left it in the recording. It is a snippet that really captures Dad's personality. It is something we will treasure. What I didn't realize the first time I heard it (because I was crying too hard at hearing his voice) was what Paul Overstreet sang immediately after Dad spoke. We had no idea Dad would not be here this year. Yet as if in devine form, Paul sang a medley. The first song was Love Lives On. The chorus says "Love lives on even when the heartbeat's gone...life may end, but love lives on." He then followed it up with "Seeing My Father In Me". This is a special song because, besides the obvious, Paul dedicated it to Dad at a Breast Cancer Benefit in Crested Butte Colorado the night before Dad's funeral service.
Next, I wanted to share a neat story from the auction. One of Dad's best friends had this gun made for the auction. Dad would have loved it!
Here is a close-up of what Bobby had painted on the barrel. It says "Mike Abbott Memorial"

So Bobby auctioned it off. I was praying someone close to Dad would get it. It just wouldn't seem right for it to hang in someone's house that didn't really know Dad. Bobby went over to congratulate the man that bought it. He said he had bought the gun as a gift to Bobby. I happened to be sitting across the table from the gentleman. It was such a neat moment as Bobby was so humbled. He immediately said he would place in the auction next year to raise even more money for cancer. I'm telling you, this is a generous group of people!
We also had some fun at Mom and Richard's this weekend. Here are some shots I got when we went on a gator ride. We had a good time visiting with Lady, Bluebell, Star, Flower...I'm really not sure of their names, but they were cute!


Love, love, love that last picture!!!
ReplyDeleteSo country music hasn't been my thing (except for Forever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis, but who doesn't like that song? terrible people, that's who), but I just listened to that Flies on the Butter song, and I'm thinking of giving country another go. I can't imagine the mixed feelings you must have experienceed when you heard your dad's voice so unexpectedly. I am praying for you.
ReplyDeleteThat last picture is great, and the gun is awesome. You take such wonderful and beautiful photos.
ReplyDelete