My manager called me this morning. He never calls me. I had stepped away from my desk, so I saw his name on caller ID.
I knew.
So I called him back.
I was right.
I was being "impacted", "downsized", "restructured". Whatever stupid, softer name they wanted to use.
I was laid off.
Now, I know it's not personal. I'm a good employee. I'm a hard worker. 8 years ago my company had 96,000 employees. Right now
So what does that mean for me? Well, right now, it's a mishmash of feelings.
Relief
I've been unhappy in my job for a while. I want to do something good. Writing training for wireless networks is not fulfilling. It's also been SO stressful. Wondering if I would be next. Now I know the answer is yes.
I've been working two jobs with my photography and my day job. It's been exhausting.
Fear
We aren't fully prepared for this financially. Whoever is? We are more prepared than we have been in the past. We got word that would be no severance back in January. So we've been saving money. And we've done well. But not well enough.
I'm not sure how God will provide. I'm not sure where He will take us with this. I'm afraid it will be out of this house that I love. I don't want creditors callings. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.
Trust
God has protected me for 10 years in this job. I know he's still there...protecting me. I'm not curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor (as I think maybe I would be). I'm not hysterical. I really am trusting.
I did a Bible study back in the fall on this book:
I think God was preparing me. The thing that has stuck with me the most from this study (which was about what we can learn from the plight of those trapped between the cliffs and the Red Sea and the on-coming army) what this:The question is not "How can get I out of this?" But rather "how can God be glorified through this?"
It also says that the God that led them there. Still knew they were there. He didn't forget about them, though some of them probably felt that he had. I firmly believe that He is going to lead us to a better life. A better season.
Excitement
Strangely enough, I do feel excited. I know there are very difficult times ahead. My kids may hear the words "no, you can't have that right now" a little more often (but is that such a bad thing?). I am excited to see how God leads us through.
I'm excited to see what He has in store.
I'm excited to not have to go to a j0b I really don't like every day.
I'm excited to be able to be with the kids when they get home from school and not hear someone say "Shhhhhh, Mommy can't talk to you. She's in a meeting"
I'm excited to pour my heart into my photography.
I'm excited to get back into scrapbooking
Most of all, I'm excited to step out (okay, be pushed out) on faith and see what God will do!
Say a prayer for my family today. And hug yours. They are more important than any job.


Ah, friend. I know this wasn't news you really wanted. I also know that this just may be the beginning of a brand new, amazing, exciting, hold-on-to-your-hat, blow-your-socks-off chapter in your life. I'm praying that God surprises you with answers you never even considered. Love and prayers.
ReplyDeleteWow. Tough day. And yet I can hear some of the relief of not having the sword dangling over your head any longer. You are loved and encouraged from afar.
ReplyDeleteAnd ditto what Amy said.
Oh, girl. My heart is crying and smiling for you at the same time. I will be praying specifically for God to give you and Casey wisdom in which steps to take next.
ReplyDeleteAnd I heart the Red Sea Rules book.
And I heart you, too, friend.
I'm very impressed with you! This is so beautifully written even in the midst of the initial shock. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm also excited to see what God will do next.
ReplyDeleteLori,
ReplyDeleteYou articulated your feelings so well. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm with everyone else...interested to see how God is going to work through this.
Hang in there, friend.
Hi Lori
ReplyDeleteSally forwarded your email earlier - so, i thought i would check out your blog - sounds like you were prepared and are doing well - it is always scary to be without a job - will and i have both been there, but you are right - there is something exciting about it too! You are very talented and resourceful - i know you all will be fine and find something more fulfilling - we will be praying for you - and thinking of you - as always! much love, anna
I shed sweet tears of sadness for the loss and even more for the love you have for your family... They, working along side you, will see you through this time. I shed just as many of the previous tears combined for the great adventure you are embarking on. Let your feelings show through your photography...and show some of it off now that you have more time....you never know who is looking. Lots and lots of love and prayers for you, Casey, Ryan, Syd and Joshie!!! Hope to see you guys agian soon. I miss you. Wish I could figure out how to send a hug through the mail! xoxoxo Laura and Hayden
ReplyDeleteI'm sad for you but glad too. I know God has great plans for you and it sounds like you've got a good attitude about it. Thinking about you and praying too!
ReplyDeleteWow. So sorry this has happened but very excited to see where the Lord will take you next. Love you guys!
ReplyDelete