5.02.2009

I love my yard!

Remember this...my flower bed? It wasn't pretty! I was embarrassed. I love my flower bed. I want to be one of those Garden Club ladies. I want to have a yard of the month sign in my yard. Why? Not so everyone will think I'm great. Just because I LOVE flowers. I love beautiful yards. (I thought about taking the class to become a Master Gardener. I still may.) So what's a busy mom to do?

Unfortunately for my neighbors and innocent passersby, a lot of this!
I joke that during spring and summer no one recognizes me unless I bend over. (Okay, I may have to seriously jump on the exercise bandwagon, Amber. Either that or I'll bust out with the photoshop diet next time!)

But the reward is this! Don't you love my animated yard art!
Last weekend, we headed to the Caddo Valley Nursery and bought...
Yes, these are strawberries and we do have fruit on the vine people! I'll share with you when we get to eat our first strawberry from our own little plant! The kids can hardly stand to leave those berries on there. They want to eat them green they are so excited!

We got these gorgeous red verbena (I'm sure I'm going to misspell these plant names!)
Dill (I love fresh herbs! and while we are on the subject, I forbid any of you to buy any fresh oregano for $5/ bunch at the grocery store. Please come pick it from under my crate myrtle! It's taking over! Anyone want some for their yard, again, come pick some of mine...SERIOUSLY!)
Cilantro
Texas Taragon...don't know what does with this, but it's from Texas and has cute little yellow flowers!
I also planted sweet and cinnamon basil!

Then we moved on to the backyard. My sweet aunt and uncle and cousin moved to Texas from Richmond, VA last summer. They had these great deck hooks that they passed on to us. I have been SO excited about putting hanging baskets on them. We've actually benefited a lot from their move. They've been so generous to pass things on to us...and they have great castoffs! Don't you love hand-me downs? So, Roxanne, I wanted you to see two of the baskets I've hung. I plan to do another basket and a birdfeeder I think on the remaining spots.

These are Purple Wave Petunias. If you want a stunning show of color that's easy to grow, these wave petunias are awesome. They grow like crazy and are full of blooms! I normally do pink, but this year I was in the mood for purple!

The other one holds this hot pink geranium.
It's she gorgeous, dahling'!

Here's the view off my deck. Look at the pretty water...I assure you, a couple of weeks ago you'd have been calling a haz-mat team in on the water. But we've been working hard and it's looking good. There's another Purple Wave in the white pot under the umbrella
And another by the steps headed down to the pool! (I told you I love these!)
I'm interested to see what this pot does. I can't even tell you what daisy looking flowers are, but they went well with the sweet potato vine I put in here, too.

My next door neighbor has these stunning Peonies between our driveways. They really are huge and there were a lot of blooms. I look forward to them every year. She cut them today. I guess she put them in a vase. I'm sad to see them go, but I'm glad she and her husband (who is house-bound) are getting to enjoy them.

Finally, do you think we can get on Letterman with this trick?
Weird isn't he...but SO lovable!
Happy Saturday!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I love pretty yards but pretty much hate yardwork. I do a LOT in containers. I have ivy, petunias, and geraniums right now and a ton of impatiens because we're slightly shady and VERY deer heavy. In fact, the deer ate my marigolds the day after I planted them.

    SO, I'm stuck with whatever will grow in pots on my deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be so very proud of yourself!! That's hard work, too!

    We have a house in La. that is being rented. When we lived there, I rarely had time to do any cute yard stuff (even though my mom is a Yard Genius). Now that we move so often and are usually in rentals, I acutally miss it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man. Lori. Dadgumit. Now I'm going to have to plant flowers. Because I have a serious case of follower-ism. And now you have just made me want my yard to look all cute and perky, too.

    My only problem is the my thumbs are totally black. I kill everything green in sight. Seriously. So what happens is...each year, we go and plunk down $100 or so on flowers with great intentions and high hopes that THIS will be our year...only to have said flowers that we sold a kidney to purchase die within a week or so.

    It could also be that I forget to water them. Hmmmmmm. Nah. It couldn't be that.

    (Hearting your yard, girl. And I didn't know you had a pool! I may come a-knockin' on your door this summer...because I would love to hang out with you on those deck chairs while our kiddos splashed in the H2O.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget the flowers...you have a POOL??????

    I tell John all the time that if we ever move back to AR, the only house I'll consider is one with a pool. Now I'll just tell him it can be a house with a pool or next door to Lori!

    Really, the flowers are gorgeous. I need to plant basil and cilantro. Those are the two herbs I use the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flowers, love the yard! You know that's become pretty much our only hobby. You're inspiring me to take pictures to share with you. Of course, they won't be good pictures because I'm terrible with the camera.

    ReplyDelete