5.10.2009

Ten Rainy Day Movies

My friend Meredith has started to a list of 10 things on the 10th.
This is my first month to play along.

Hmmmm, what to do? I've thought about this since I missed last month's day. I'm really no closer to deciding. In honor of the rainy season (it seems like it's rained for the last two weeks!), I think I'll do my top 10 rainy afternoon movies!

These are not in order of favoritism. Only number one. But these are 10 I really enjoy watching while folding laundry, browsing the blogs or whiling away a rainy afternoon when I have one to myself (like that happens very often!). I'm also adding a fun quote from each movie!

10. The theme song in this one is "our song". My hubby and I danced to it at our wedding. It's such a sweet movie and I love the message in it.

"I tell you what I envy about people in love - I'd love it if someone knew me, I mean really knew me. What I like, what I'm afraid of, what kind of toothpaste I use."
9. Love Julia. All of her movies. This one is just fun. Love the music, love the actors, Love everything!

"Michael... I love you. I've loved you for nine years, I've just been too arrogant and scared to realize it, and... well, now I'm just scared. So, I realize this comes at a very inopportune time but I really have this gigantic favor to ask of you. Choose me. Marry me. Let me make you happy. Oh, that sounds like three favors, doesn't it? "
8. If you like baseball movies, you know no one does them better than Kevin. This one is a romantic. The end game gets me every time. I cry. Every. Time.

"The boys are all here for ya, we'll back you up, we'll be there, cause, Billy, we don't stink right now. We're the best team in baseball, right now, right this minute, because of you. You're the reason. We're not gonna screw that up, we're gonna be awesome for you right now. Just throw."
7. I love Jennifer Garner. Sometime I'll do the 10 reasons I love Alias. I'm looking forward to seeing her new one. I love it when she does comedy.

"I think catch and release fisherman are heartless weenies. I think putting a fish through agony for nothing more than your own entertainment is just plain cruel. I think if you're going to torture a living thing if, you're going to make it look into the eyes of its maker, face its own puny little place in the universe, then, for God's sake, have the decency to eat it! "
6. Sticking with the JG theme, this is BIG from the girl's point of view. My daughter loves it too. It's just fun!

Arlene: Eminem's on the phone; he wants an answer now.
Jenna: Umm... plain.
[Arlene looks at her strangely]
Jenna: Peanut? Plain!
5. I love Sandra. Harry is dreamy. Small town. Great music.

"Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what momma always says. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will... "
4. His speech at the press conference gives me chills each time I see it. Very West Wing. As for quotes, I could just include the whole movie! But I'll settle for this one:

[dancing at a state dinner]
Sydney: I don't know how you do it.
Andy: It's Arthur Murray. Six lessons.
Sydney:That's not what I mean. Two hundred pairs of eyes are focused on you with two questions on their minds - who's this girl, and why is the President dancing with her?
Andy: Well, first of all, the two hundred pairs of eyes aren't focused on me. They're focused on you. And the answers are Sydney Ellen Wade, and because she said yes.


3. Lots of story lines knitted together. Not for kids, but a fun movie.

Daniel: Tell her that you love her.
Sam: No way! Anyway, they fly tonight.
Daniel: Even better! Sam, you've got nothin' to lose, and you'll always regret it if you don't! I never told your mom enough. I should have told her everyday because she was perfect everyday. You've seen the films, kiddo. It ain't over 'til its over.

2. Mr. Darcy. Misty field in the morning. Need I say more!

For the quote...everyone *sigh* with me...

"You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. "


1. My all time favorite...if you haven't seen this, run to the video store now! It's funny, sweet and will make you cry!

Megan: Whatever you do, don't shave your legs.
Grace: Why?
Megan: Well, then you definitely won't let it go too far.
Grace: Megan! It's a *first* date!
Megan: Yeah, well, I married a first date, missy, and you know how it is. You're out with a guy, you find him attractive, and suddenly everything he says sounds brilliant. Hairy legs are your only link to reality.
Grace: I think you should needle-point that on a pillow.
Megan: Well, I just might! It kept me a virgin until... y'know, *whenever*.

Now, tell me your favorite rainy day movie! Now i'm going to go watch a movie...'cause it's STILL raining!!!

post signature

14 comments:

  1. I have not seen Return to Me. Guess I'll pick it up on Thursday when I return "Thomas' Great Discovery" and "Bedtime Stories".

    I'm sighing with you on the Darcy thing. Seriously, best movie scene EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to tell you my movie. P&P, obviously, but I also love The Lakehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Return to Me! It's a little cheesy, but great love story. My favorite is Pride and Prejudiced, but the A&E version with Colin Firth. Hubba-hubba!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Love, Actually is one of the best movies EVER.

    I love lots of those movies, but my favorite rainy day movie is How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I need to see more non kid movies! Seriously I think maybe you gals need to do an intervention on me. I think the only movie I have seen on that list is My Best Friends wedding. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Actually is mine. And Notting Hill. Lurve My Best Friend's Wedding. Very sweet. My hubby just replaced my Love Actually DVD because, let's just say...it's worn. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I love the movies, so I cannot even come close to picking a favorite. The American President was mine and hubby's first movie date, so it is a favorite for lots of reasons. I haven't seen Catch and Release - and I love J.G. So, I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't do favorites. I think you know that.
    I've only seen four of these but the four I've seen I love. If I get to come back, can I come over for movie day and watch the other six?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all those movies!!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohh...good list!

    My favorite...Star Wars. Bwahahaha!!! I almost got through that without laughing. Are you kidding me? My favorite...show me the Darcy, Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on Return To Me (sniffle, sniffle) and P&P. I also love Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow, You've Got Mail, and While You Were Sleeping. I watched that last one 24-7 for about three weeks after Merrilee was born to ward of the baby blues. Consequently, Matt is not a fan...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1 & 5 are a couple of my favorites as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great picks - I love 50 First Dates, Steele Magnolias, Say anything, Out of Africa - in no particular order

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori!
    So many good choices, but I love, love, love number one too!! Such a good funny, sad, happy, wonderful story!
    I think I saw you from afar a few Sundays ago when I was visiting, but hopefully will get to see you for real next time...I miss you guys!
    Have a great week - and I hope you'll be able to enjoy these movies without the rain soon! :)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete