Given all of that, I have heard about the latest debates on torture. (Did I mention that I still hear news because my hubby spends a TREMENDOUS amount of time staying up on everything and ranting and raving over the latest injustices...so he does enough for us both. I realize this may cause some of you to think less of me, but we'll just have to get past it. I am what I am)
So on to my point for the day. There is no need for all of this debate. A simple, legal way to torture those detainees into giving us the information we need can found in this...
That's right folks. A simple child's recorder.I assure you a classroom of first graders playing this in their less than melodious way all at the same time will get any hold out to spill his guts.
Did I mention that my daughter got one of these in the treasure box at school?
Am I the only one with less than kind feelings about the school treasure box? Does anyone else question our local school's definition of treasure?
I'm just sayin'
I'm going to go stick pins in my eyes..or a lot of cotton in my ears.
Have a nice day.


Oh Lori, you and I could rant all day about this topic!! I question our teachers choices of treasures that are given to our kids. A recorder, at least she got hers for free. I had to PURCHASE one this year for music for our kids. Getting on on PURPOSE is no better than getting one for free!!
ReplyDeleteOne man's trash is another's treasure. Does this lady have children herself?? Either she's innately patient or she has no kids.
ReplyDeleteA pair of earplugs works wonders...
Oh the recorder. Second only to the harmonica in effectiveness as Parent Torture Device.
ReplyDeleteOh Lori...you have walked into my biggest fear as a new music teacher! haha...I was supposed to teach recorder this year, but (and maybe this was a blessing...haha) the recorders we ordered for class were put on back-order and didn't come in time, before school was out. Now, granted that would have been fourth and fifth grade, I can only imagine what kind of sounds might be made by an excited first grader who has selected one from the treasure box! :) Maybe you should encourage her to take up drumming on pots and pans? ;) haha...Good luck with that, just remember, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord..." and I'll let you know when I finally face those classes of fourth and fifth graders playing recorder next year! -Alicia-
ReplyDeleteI'm giggling, because I was just having this very same conversation just the other day with someone! The junk my kids bring home from school. I'll never understand it.
ReplyDeleteBut as an educator, here's the scoop: We actually find it humerous. See, we're with your kid all day. So we find it highly entertaining to send them home with lovely gifts that they are NOT ALLOWED to play with at school.
They pay teachers squat...so we take our perks where we can get 'em.
Be thankful it wasn't a kazoo.
ReplyDeleteAlternate form of torture? Listening to my youngest two count to infinity. Lord love a duck.
The recorder is an albatross I wil be dragging through my music teaching career. It's the only thing about teaching that I haven't missed for all these years at home with the wee ones. but it really is one of the best ways for students to practice reading and making music. Hopefully, some of the kids will develop a knack for it and enroll in middle school band.
ReplyDeleteAt least you just have one kid at home, not an entire class playing in "unison"-- if you could call it that. Teaching recorder was a spiritual experience for me, one that forced the practice of every single fruit of the spirit. Here's me:
"Oh, my! It sounds as if someone is not covering the thumb hole. Let's fix it and try it again..."
"Cover the thumb hole, please..."
"For the love of God, COVER THE THUMB HOLE!"
Good times. Now I'm all nostalgic...Oh, how very holy you will be by the time your kid gets bored and finally puts the thing down :)
Hello!
ReplyDeleteThanks for becoming a follower! Rachel talks about you all the time! She loves your kids! Love your fun photos!
Another thought...I recently discovered a toddler who can't quite speak yet who has an ear infection is torture. Put those mean guys in a room full of these bundles of joy and they will talk for sure!
ReplyDeleteMy friend, an elementary school music teacher, once said the road to he** was paved with recorders. I believe her!
ReplyDelete