6.21.2009

Happy Fathers Day!

I have several dad's in my life. To each of them I wish a Happy Father's Day!

My kid's Daddy. He truly is just about the best Dad. He's always been right in there with me taking care of the kids. In many ways, he does more than I do. He hauls all three of them to Wal-mart without a second thought (I think twice, three times and then bail out!). Since the day Eldest was born, he's been Mr. Mom. I've always worked full time. He's been a student and now a professor with flexible hours. So he's right in there running car pool, taking kids to practice, coaching teams. He's a fun dad. His inner child is still a big part of him. He wasn't sure he'd be a good dad. I never had a single doubt!

My step-dad.
I lived with Richard from the time I was 6. He's taught me not to sweat the small stuff. To focus on what's really important. He taught me the value of a dollar and how important it is to save (though I've had to relearn some of these lessons the hard way). He taught me never to buy a new car. He taught me to drive a stick shift. He taught me how to use a camera, which has brought me SO much joy throughout my life. I'm so grateful that God brought him into my life.

My grandfathers: Buddy and Papa.

My memories of Buddy (my Mom's Dad) are somewhat faded. He passed when I was about 9 or 10. One of the best memories I have of him was in his little white pickup. He would let me sit in his lap and steer (a terrifying thought now, but what a sweet memory). Of course that's the memory of small child. We may not have ever left the driveway.


My Papa Abbott. I have lots of these memories. Watching Johnny Carson. Eating Cookies and Cream ice cream and Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. Him baptizing me in my parents' swimming pool. The way his eyes sparkled when he laughed. My most precious memory is with him.He passed away shortly after Casey and I married. He had Parkinsons and was in a nursing home about 1/2 a mile from Casey and my apartment. Dad was at our house. We knew Papa didn't have long. I went by to check on him. I had been sitting with Papa for a few minutes. He was non responsive. I told him how much we loved him. I promised him we would be okay. I told him Dad would be okay. I reminded him that grandmother was waiting for him. Then I asked him to me one last favor as my Papa. I asked him to let go. There was no change. He didn't respond. He sat for a few seconds and stepped out of the room to call Dad. I told him there was no change and that I was coming home. I walked back to the door to peek in at Papa one more time. I waited. I noticed his chest wasn't moving. I waited a little more. I realized that even though it didn't seem like he had heard me, he had. And he had listened. He believed me when I told we would be okay. He had granted me that last favor as my Papa. He was going to see my grandmother. I'll never forget that moment. I wish with all my heart that he could see his great grand kids. He would delight in them. He would have doted on them. They would have been his world. Little Man bears his name.

Finally, there's my Dad. This is my first year without Dad. I hadn't seen him on Father's Day for the last couple of years, so isn't as strange not to see him. The part that is really weird for me is that this means it's been almost a year since we lost him. I can hardly comprehend that! I've written a lot about him in the past year. So this year I'm just going to say "Daddy, I miss you! I know you have had an unimaginable Father's Day this year because you are with your Heavenly Father. Wow! Know that your children and grandchildren are thinking about you, missing you and loving you...today and every day."

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Lori...
    Thanks for your FD post... My Dad died over 10 years ago but memories sometimes with grieving still resurface. Bet Casey is an awesome and fun Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    I loved reading about Father's Day,and all your fathers.It really is very special.

    love,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these special men with us. You are very blessed.

    ReplyDelete