Last week (Wednesday to be exact) the OBU campus came back to life. Students were back in class. Student workers were swarming offices.
Then on Friday night we lost a little bit of that life. One of our freshmen from Little Rock was killed in a car wreck. Another freshmen was driving. She is alive, but has a broken neck. Two other girls, non OBUers, were killed in the wreck. Young, vibrant lives cut short. The one still alive has her life forever altered. She was driving. With three close friends in the car.
They are all gone.
We've been trying to make sense of it. Praying for the families.
Then this morning.
An Arkadelphia High senior was killed in a car wreck on her way to school.
Another life gone.
It's hard not to ask why. So many people are hurting right now. But we have to remember that God never leaves us. That He can bring good from the awful. That He is still control.
I am reminded again of the book that I read last fall, The Red Sea Rules. The thing I've gone back to over and over is that it tells us that we should not ask how to get out of some situation or even really how to get through it, but the key is to ask "How can God be glorified through this situation?"
How, indeed. I'm not sure. But I look forward to seeing the signs and hearing the stories of that glory. We need it here in Arkadelphia.
Pray for those hurting families and friends of these young ladies, please.


Wow, words are even hard to use right now, but I am praying for those families too. God is all-sufficient in all times.
ReplyDeleteTough days, indeed.
ReplyDeleteI am still ever touched by that book, too, Lori.
God is good. All the time.
Oh, Lori - That makes me so sad. Even so many years removed from campus life, I feel the connectedness, and I share the loss.
ReplyDeleteI think I need to read that book. We have had a similar streak of tragedies here in Corsicana, the latest incident occurring Friday when a sweet teacher's aide accidentally drove to school without dropping her baby off at the sitter. She didn't discover this until five hours later, and by then her little girl was dead in the car.
ReplyDeleteI have struggled with my feelings about this all weekend, so caught up in this senseless loss, thoughts of a mother's agony, etc., and never thinking of God's glory.
Sending prayers for Arkadelphia, my favorite place in the world...